Open Date: 01/05/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 001-2021
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
This position will assist in the oversight of the financial and regulatory requirements of the Tribe. Provide highly responsible and complex professional assistance to the Finance Director in areas of expertise, as well as assisting with staffing requirements, duties, and scheduling of projects. The Assistant Finance Director must be able to create and enforce an internal control environment that supports the proper expenditure and recording of Tribal, federal, state, and grants funds. This person will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon. This position will maintain a thorough working knowledge of and will adhere to tribal policies, regulations and procedures, as well as oversee, direct, and participate in major activities and programs of the department, including finance, investment and cash management, budget, and accounting and will be responsible for providing professional-level support to the Finance Director in a variety of areas.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Assists in establishing operating and financial policies and procedures for a multi-million dollar operation.
- Assists in the full management responsibility for all Finance Department services and activities.
- Assists in the development and maintaining Finance Department’s goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; helps establish within Rincon policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources accordingly.
- Assists in establishing Rincon’s budgeting, accounting, and financial reporting practices.
- Develop and establish internal controls, policy, and procedures necessary to assure the accuracy and security of all records and funds; evaluate current performance of accounting procedures and financial controls.
- Identify variances from approved or authorized practices and initiate actions to ensure established controls are maintained. Assist in management of internal control programs.
- Help oversee the complete, accurate, and timely preparation of annual and monthly financial reports and statements.
- Be able to prepare financial statements in accordance with GAAP and Governmental Accounting Standards.
- Manage the preparation of the Rincon budget; pre-audit projected budget – provide Rincon’s coordination for all budgetary matters.
- Develop and administer the Finance Department budget ─ direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures, prepare and implement budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Develop a capital expenditure budget.
- Establish capitalization policies and procedures including depreciation method.
- Maintain an inventory of all tribal capital assets in accordance with federal and tribal regulations.
- Direct and analyze studies of general economic, business, and financial conditions and their impact on the organization’s policies and operations.
- Evaluate a variety of business opportunities presented by departments within Rincon for reasonableness and financial soundness.
- Arrange for audits of all accounts annually. Work with independent auditors and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Interpret and apply applicable Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Analyze monthly work papers and schedules that agree and support the general ledger.
- Use knowledge and understanding of grants and contract regulations to maximize impact on Rincon.
- Prepare or review all reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Rincon’s investment policies. Work with financial institutions to manage the organization’s financial investments that include but is not limited to stocks, bond, treasury bills, and money market accounts.
- Assist in the development of a short and long-term financial strategy that reflects the highest and most efficient use of capital resources available.
- Responsible for 401(K) reporting and maintaining accurate records and documentation.
- Report all political contributions and lobbying activities to all appropriate agencies.
- Coordinate with other Rincon departments, Business Committee, Investment Committee, Section 17 Corporations, Tribal Members, other relevant internal committee’s and outside agencies.
- Maintain a customer service orientation within the department; respond to and resolve sensitive and complex issues relating to Rincon, the Business Committee or the Tribal members.
- Attend and participate in professional and Rincon community events; stays current on issues relative to the field of finance, tribal law and relevant gaming issues.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position typically requires the supervision of Finance Department staff.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, economics or business administration. (Master’s Degree highly desired)
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- A current and valid California Certified Public Accountant’s license is required.
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Minimum of five years in a financial leadership position, in either public, private or governmental organizations that would represent a diversified background and experience
- Experience with modern and complex principles and practices of finance program development and administration, including a proven record of accomplishment of creating policies and procedures to enhance but not inhibit the operation and enterprise growth.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations
- Four or more years of experience in a Tribal government management capacity (desired).
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.