Open Date: 04/01/2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 004-2020
Department: Finance Department
Classification: Full-Time / Non-Exempt
Salary: $21.25 – $24.00 (hourly)
Location: Valley Center, CA
The role of Accountant I is vital to the efficient functioning of Rincon. This position, under direct supervision, is responsible for assisting higher level accountants to establish, review, revise and maintain control of fiscal record-keeping functions in an accounting department, or audits the fiscal records and accounting procedures of special projects, grants or other departments. This position maintains a thorough working knowledge of and adheres to tribal policies, regulations and procedures. The role also interacts with the Tribal community and provides the highest level of customer service.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Establishes, reviews revises and maintains controls on fiscal record-keeping functions.
- Examines and analyzes fiscal record-keeping systems and procedures.
- Examines, analyzes and verifies fiscal documents such as vouchers, warrants, requisitions, purchase orders, receiving records and invoices.
- Prepares trial balances, reconciliations, work sheets and schedules.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of a variety of accounting, statistical and narrative reports.
- Reviews, evaluates and may assist in the preparation and maintenance of the budget and internal controls.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of recommendations for the installation of new or revised accounting cost systems, procedures and records.
- Reviews the classification and distribution of income and expenditures to proper accounts.
- Develop routine rates or cost models.
- Assist with the tracking of financial progress of federal or state grants. Assist with the filing of reports required to maintain compliance and/or receive reimbursement.
- Routinely exhibit proficiency and be able to easily operate all accounting modules through trial balance reports prepared for senior staff review and approval, as well as all support software (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Attend required meetings and trainings.
- This position does not require the supervision of staff.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- High School Diploma or GED. Associates degree (AA) or equivalent from a twoyear college or technical school or one or more year’s related experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. College degree is preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Accounting principles and practices
- General business laws and budgeting methods; ability to analyze data, understand and apply the principles, laws, procedures involved in the accounting and auditing functions
- Examination and verification of records;
- Must have good organizational skills, able to work fast and still be efficient; maintain records and prepare complete, accurate and easy to read accounting, statistical and narrative reports.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.