Open Date: 01/19/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 013-2020
Department: Finance Dept.
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: Commensurate w/ Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
This position, under general supervision, establishes, reviews, revises, and
maintains controls on fiscal record keeping functions in an accounting department; or audits the fiscal records and accounting procedures of special projects, grants, or other departments; performs other job-related work as required. This position maintains a thorough working knowledge of and adheres to tribal polices, regulations and procedures.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Establishes, reviews, revises, and maintains controls on fiscal record keeping functions in an assigned unit.
- Examines and analyzes fiscal record keeping systems and procedures.
- Examines, analyzes, verifies fiscal documents such as vouchers, warrants, requisitions, purchase orders, receiving records, and invoices.
- Prepares trial balances, Bank/other account reconciliations, work sheets, and schedules.
- Prepares a variety of accounting, statistical, and narrative reports.
- Reviews, evaluates, and will assist in the preparation and maintenance of the budget and internal controls.
- Prepares recommendations for the installation of new or revised accounting and cost systems, procedures, and records.
- Analyzes the classification and distribution of income and expenditures to proper accounts.
- Ability to track the financial progress of federal or state grants. File, in a timely manner, reports required to maintain compliance and/or receive reimbursement.
- Routinely exhibit proficiency and easily operate all accounting modules through trial balance reports prepared for senior staff review and approval, as well as all support software (Word, Spreadsheet, and Power Point).
- Mentor to junior accounting staff members by training designed to measure junior staff accounting and support software knowledge for both merit and advancement yardstick purpose.
- Attend required meetings and trainings.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- Graduation from a recognized college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field, or Three (3) years of paraprofessional accounting experience equivalent to the classification of Accountant I.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Accounting principles and practices. General business laws and budgeting methods.
- Ability to analyze data, understand and apply the principles, laws, procedures involved in the accounting and auditing functions.
- Examine and verify records; Maintain records and prepare complete, accurate and easy to read accounting, statistical, and narrative reports.
- Principles and procedures of governmental accounting
- Principles of good office management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong organizational skills and the flexibility and ability to manage time and multiple tasks with little supervision.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report, and present findings.
- Knowledge of MS Office and strong working knowledge of Excel – spreadsheet budget formatting
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to organize, schedule, and coordinate work assignments to meet deadlines.
- Independent Judgment and Discretion
- Must be customer service focused.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.