Open Date: 02/04/2020
Requisition Number: 005-2020
Department: Finance Department
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Reports to: Finance Director
Location: Valley Center, CA
OPPORTUNITY: Under the direction of the Finance Director, this position will manage fiscal accounting and auditing systems, develop financial contract specifications and requests for proposals; make budgetary and statistical evaluations and analyses; to supervise the preparation of a variety of complex records and reports; and to do other related work as required Responsibilities also include performing audits of financial transactions and the production of reports related to federal and private grants or requests from outside entities such as auditors, legislative bodies, or the public.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING: Bachelor Degree in Accounting or other related degree. Three (3) years of experience as a professional accountant. One year in governmental accounting and/or one or more years in a successful supervisory or lead capacity over other professional accountants strongly preferred. CPA highly desired. WORK-RELATED KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of: the theory principles, and practices of general and governmental accounting, budgeting; state and local codes, rules, and regulations that influence fiscal operations; the methods of developing systems forms for various types of accounting records and reports; of data processing systems and their application to accounting administration and purchasing; Knowledge in principles and practices of management and supervision. Business start-up experience
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS: Valid driver’s license.
- Serve as the Director in his or her absence and as a mentor to junior accounting staff members.
- Responsible for filing of tax reports.
- Coordinate and prepare Tribal financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, or other Tribal reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Update financial reports for government, committees, projects, and active grant programs as required.
- Supervise, develop, and assist employees performing financial reporting, accounting, billing, collections, payroll, and budgeting duties.
- Manage internal controls over the receipt, disbursement, banking, protection, and custody of funds, securities, and financial instruments.
- Oversee the receipt, record, and authorize requests for disbursements in accordance with Tribal policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the monitoring of all Tribal financial activities and details such as reserve levels to ensure that all legal and regulatory requirements are met.
- Provide a daily update of cash balances and operational cash projections.
- Responsible for the coordination of audits of Tribal accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with Tribal, state and federal requirements and statutes.
- Prepare, and participate in written and/or oral communiqués regarding responses to audit findings.
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
- Prepare, and participate in written and/or oral communiqués regarding policy changes to effected departments within the government.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures; including drafting, composing, developing, and maintaining financial department policy and procedure manuals.
- Prepare written and/or oral communiqués to departments, council and tribal membership.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of accounting and other financial staff.
- Prepare, and participate in written and/or oral communiqués regarding periodic evaluation of finance staff development.
- Develop and maintain relationships with banking, insurance, and non-organizational accounting personnel to facilitate financial activities.
- Attend meetings and conferences as required.
- Attends and participates in management staff meetings concerning programs related to fiscal and accounting functions; confers with county, state, and federal officials.
- Maintains a good working relationship with other program managers and staff.
- Attend required meetings and trainings
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a resume to the Human Resources Department, One Government Center Lane, California 92082, or e-mail to email@example.com
Tribal preference will be given to eligible Rincon Tribal Members who meet the minimum qualifications. Background investigation, drug and alcohol screening are required as a condition of employment. Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians is an equal opportunity employer.