Open Date: 06/14/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 016-2021
Department: Tribal Law
Salary: Commensurate w/ Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
Under the general direction of the Tribal Law Enforcement Manager, the Communications Operator will be responsible for securing and recording information as to the exact location and circumstances of all emergency and non-emergency requests for service. Uses voice radio to dispatch necessary equipment in accordance with predetermined plans; keeps radio contact with DPS personnel on assignment, and notifies appropriate supervision on duty. This work involves fast, efficient and accurate receiving, directing and processing of communications from and to personnel and fire stations or Law Enforcement vehicles. The Communications Operator will be responsible for a variety of administrative duties for the Tribal Law Enforcement Department. Calls and messages include emergency requests as well as routine department matters. This person will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Under supervision, provides communication and support services to the tribal law enforcement and fire departments.
- Provide various administrative support to the Tribal Law Enforcement Department,
such as filing, typing, proofreading, data entry, preparation of correspondence and
reports, mailing, copying, faxing, etc.
- Uses a computer-aided dispatch system, receive emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services.
- Determine the nature and location of the emergency; determine priorities, and dispatch Tribal Law Enforcement, Sheriff’s department, fire ambulance or other emergency units as necessary and in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of police and fire units.
- Monitor security cameras, answer non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Operate a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones and computer systems.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to Tribal Law Enforcement Manager and other employees of the organization.
- Calm distressed citizens on the phone.
- Studies and is familiar with locations of streets, landmarks and properties on and off the reservation and in the casino.
- Work rotating shifts (days, swings and graves), weekends, holidays and overtime as required.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in related field, performing dispatch related clerical work, verbal radio communications, law enforcement or public information work.
- Must be able to sit for a long periods in a confined area.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proficiency with online communication platforms, possess internet-search related skills and other technology necessary to perform the job.
- Provides well-organized and clearly written information.
- Utilizes appropriate grammar, punctuation, and accuracy in written correspondence, manuals, or publications.
- Learn and interpret maps.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.