Open Date: 09/02/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 026-2020
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
This position is responsible to plan healthy menus following the guidelines of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that include breakfast, lunch and snacks served to the students enrolled in the After-School Tutorial Program and Summer Programs. Duties will include preparation and serving of food and helping to maintain a clean kitchen. They are also responsible for cooking the meals and snacks in accordance with kitchen health standard implementing food safety practices to reduce the potential for foodborne illness. This is a part-time nonexempt employee that is paid with an hourly wage. This position is classified as casual employment – understanding that at times the work and hours could be intermittent in nature, irregular and infrequent as projects are completed and based on department needs.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Assist in providing academic support to assigned students, either in a group or individually.
- Plan nutritious monthly menus following guidelines set forth by the USDA that provide students with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and healthy meals.
- Prepare and cook food from recipes or detailed instructions for breakfast, lunch, field trips, and/or snacks.
- Ensure meals are prepared in an attractive and appealing manner and provide seasonal variations of vegetables and fruits. Prepare food in quantities that serve children with adequate portions and minimal waste.
- Be sensitive to the food service needs of children who have documented allergic reactions to certain food substances; ensuring meals are adjusted to accommodate children with special needs and allergies.
- Attend all scheduled pre-service and in-service training that are held on-site and be available to attend off-site workshops and trainings.
- Purchase food, keeping to an established budget established by Education Manager.
- Ensure that adequate staples are on hand – drinks, condiments, and paper products.
- Follow purchasing guidelines and place orders with the help of the administrative assistant.
- Prepare all food items for the Education Department using established procedures.
- Be attentive to standards of cleanliness and help maintain those standards in the kitchen and/or cafeteria. Ensures that all meal prep stations are clean and sanitized and that there is no cross contamination of foods.
- Maintain accurate meal count records and food menu production records.
- Launder kitchen towels and linens.
- Wash and put away dishes.
- Daily cleaning – wash and put away dishes, refrigerator, dishwasher area, clean sinks, clean stove, wipe all counters tops, and sweep floors.
- Wipe out refrigerator weekly, pull out everything including shelves and clean monthly. Clean freezer when needed.
- Report any equipment problems to the Education Manager.
- Understand the importance of discernment, discretion, and confidentiality in the operation of the Rincon Education Department.
- Respect professional ethics that require confidentiality concerning the sharing of information about the children, parents, or staff.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- 2-years work experience in food planning, preparation, and cooking in quantity for a restaurant, school, or other setting.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Food Handlers certification required.
- Preference for CPR and First Aid. Must obtain once hired.