Open Date: 06/30/2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 014-2022
Department: Public Safety
Classification: Full-Time / Non-Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
The role of the Public Safety Manager is highly influential to the efficient functioning of Rincon. Under direction of the Director of Public Safety, the Public Safety Manager will assist the Director of Public Safety by occasionally supervising Tribal Law Lead Officers, administer, coordinate, plan and implement public safety operations. This person will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon. This position requires an insightful professional with strong leadership experience to help mold the future of this growing organization.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Apply the direction from the Director of Public Safety related to the planning, development, budgeting and management of the Public Safety Department, Tribal, Fire Department and contracted law enforcement services.
- Serve as the Assistant Tribal Administrator to ensure the continuation of operations and provide guidance to Directors and managers of the varied departments when the Tribal Administrator is not available.
- Develop and maintain the Continuity of Operation Plan (COOP), Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP), Hazardous Mitigation Plan (HMP) Threat and Hazardous Identification Risk Assessment (THIRA) CERT, WEB EOC, IPAWS and community outreach for emergency planning.
- Assist the Director of Public Safety in the planning, development and execution of all Public Safety services.
- Proactively communicate with the Rincon community to develop rapport, open lines of communication, and assist in resolving Public Safety concerns of those that reside on the Reservation.
- Assist the Director of Public Safety in development and enforcement of law enforcement policies, procedures, standards, and directives, in addition to communicating same in written and verbal presentations.
- Act as a liaison and develop professional relationships with other public safety and law enforcement agencies.
- In the absence of the Manager, ensure Tribal Law Enforcement Leads, complete training, scheduling, and problem resolution for Tribal Law Enforcement personnel.
- Act as a catalyst to leverage technologies to assist the function of Public Safety.
- Assess equipment needs and provide information to the Director of Public Safety so s/he can effectively facilitate the purchasing process to equip personnel.
- Prepare periodic schedules and ad hoc public safety system reports; gather data and prepare recommendations regarding program improvements for the Director of Public Safety.
- Respond to inquiries, and ensure they are investigated and resolved related to public safety concerns.
- Participate with Director of Public Safety in the development of specific, measurable department goals and objectives; recommend, implement, and administer policies and procedures to enhance operations.
- Attends and participates in required meetings and training.
- Evaluates the safety of the reservation through personal observations by driving the roadways and entering the government buildings.
- Develop statements of work for contract requests for services related to public safety concerns and oversee the completion of the work.
- Work various shifts as needed (including weekends and holidays)
- Provide services to Tribal Members beyond the norm, to build relationships and trust.
- Demonstrates an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Adhere to safety standards and regulations of the Tribal Council.
- Handle all confidential and proprietary information in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- High School Diploma or GED and at least five (5) years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Collegiate level studies are desirable.
- Proficiency in MSWord, PowerPoint and Excel are desirable.
- Understanding of /Experience with Emergency Operations and disaster preparedness.
- Experience with managing personnel.
- Experience providing instruction to varied groups of people.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- ICS-100, IS-700 and Advanced ICS training (Preferred)
- CPR and Basic First Aid Certifications (Preferred)
- Experience working alongside various Emergency Response agencies.
- Knowledge of Emergency Operation Center procedures (written, verbal, and hands on)
- Think and act quickly in emergencies, and exercise sound judgment
- Learn, understand, and interpret Tribal, State and Federal Laws
- Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports
- Three years’ experience mentoring and evaluating personnel.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.