Superintendent of Public Works
Open Date: 07/15/19
Requisition Number: 026-2019
Department: General Services
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Reports to: Tribal Administrator
Location: Valley Center, CA
OPPORTUNITY: Under the direction of the Tribal Administrator, the Superintendent of Public Works will supervise and manage the reservation’s General Services Department. This position will direct the activities of construction, repair, maintenance, and operational work on the reservation streets, parks, buildings, trees, streetscapes and right of ways. This position will also manage ongoing projects and ensure compliance with the Tribal Government and Federal standards. This position will participate in the development and administration of the General Services operating budget. The Superintendent will ensure safe work practices, work quality and accuracy; serves as a technical resource for assigned reporting managers and work crews. This person will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING: High School Diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent degree. Experience in facility management procedures and operations. Advanced leadership and management skills. Experience in planning, organization, time management, construction management, problem solving and delegating for maintenance and construction services (i.e. roads, buildings, water and utilities lines/services). Five (5) years or more of experience in a Government, Construction Management, Facilities Management, and Public Management capacity. WORK-RELATEDKNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of construction data collection processes, development of complex construction plans, and reports. Contract documents including notice inviting bids, contract, special provisions, and construction plans. Knowledge of Construction costing estimates, budgeting, and financial asset management. Strong knowledge of federal related legal requirements, including reservation community health code requirements.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS: Valid drivers’ license
- Oversees the maintenance of reservation graffiti removal, parks, trees, storm drains, streetlights and signals, sidewalks, streetscapes, vehicle maintenance, buildings and grounds, and fleet maintenance and Housing Department.
- Oversees, implement and enforce all Environmental Enforcement issues within the exterior boundaries of the Rincon Indian Reservation; including Federal, State, and Tribal Law Compliance. Coordinate with Rincon Tribal Law Enforcement.
- Oversees all aspects of recycling and water treatment resources.
- Oversees the Rincon native plant nursery.
- Coordinates department activities to ensure ongoing completion of projects and maintenance functions on the Rincon Tribal Reservation.
- Oversees general services contracts, maintenance and construction agreements; administers provisions and specifications of applicable contracts; responds to after-hours call-outs as assigned.
- Manage and administer multiple developments, right of way, and capital construction projects. Coordinate complex construction activates.
- Manage and administer capital project contracts; ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget, while avoiding potential construction claim.
- Manage and supervise consultant project management, inspection, material testing, survey services; monitor consultant budgets and recommend approval of consultant payments. Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, specifications, bid documents and contracts.
- Monitors work activities to ensure safe work practices, work quality and accuracy; ensures compliance with applicable Tribal and Federal rules, policies and procedures; establishes department performance goals; participates in the selection, training evaluation of General Services personnel.
- Supervise, plan and participate in highly complex and responsible construction coordination and inspection work.
- Recommends and assists in the development and upkeep of short and long-range maintenance schedules for reservation streets, reservation parks, landscape, and facility maintenance. Assists in the development of cost estimates for implementation of maintenance programs.
- Assists with operation of Tribal hazardous waste collection program; coordinates the conduct of special events with general service staff; serves as liaison with Federal governmental agencies.
- Prepare reports on department operations as necessary. Plan, assign, direct and inspects field construction. Participates in budget preparation, and prepares project costs estimates.
- Oversees bids, procures purchase requisitions, equipment procurements, and the order of supplies, tools and materials for the general services department.
- Responds to questions, and concerns from Tribal Members; provides information as is appropriate and resolves public service or operational complaints; establishes and maintains a customer service orientation within the unit.
- Identifies the appropriate training for staff employees to ensure that they have the appropriate skills and knowledge to meet the performance expectation of the position.
- Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organization, state/local agencies.
- Conducts annual performance review and provides feedback in a timely manner and on a regular basis to ensure all employees have an understanding of what is required to meet the expectation of their job.
- Attends training conferences to stay knowledgeable about trends within the utilities management, infrastructure preservation fields, and shares new trends with staff employee to ensure their continual growth in their job.
- Assumes additional related job assignments, and delegates where appropriate to ensure continual growth for staff employees.
- Maintains an effective and productive partnership with organizations that promotes a positive image for the Tribe.
- Provide written, oral, and computer based presentations to Tribal Council, General Membership and Government Agencies for program reporting, project status, and department outreach.
- Interact with Rincon Community to ensure implementation of Department goals.
- Attends and participates in required meetings and training.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a resume to the Human Resources Department, One Government Center Ln, Valley Center, California 92082, or e-mail to email@example.com Tribal preference will be given to eligible Rincon Tribal Members who meet the minimum qualifications. Background investigation, drug and alcohol screening is required as a condition of employment. Rincon Band of Luiseno Indians is an equal opportunity employer.