Open Date: 04/01/2022
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 004-2022
Department: General Services Dept.
Classification: Full-Time / Non-Exempt
Salary: $18.15 – $22.69 (hourly)
Location: Valley Center, CA
Under general supervision, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in the construction, maintenance and repair of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management; performs work in the removal of graffiti on the Rincon Reservation; operates a variety of light-, medium- and heavy-duty motorized maintenance and construction equipment; and performs related duties as assigned.
Utilities Crew II is the semi-skilled level in the Utilities Crew series. An incumbent performs the full range of assigned duties in construction, maintenance, and repair of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control, and refuse management assignments. Including the ability to work independently exercising judgment and initiative and the ability to operate a full range of tools and mechanical equipment related to a specific assignment. Incumbents may exercise functional and technical guidance of specific tasks and projects to Utilities Crew I staff. A Utilities Crew II position differs from a Utilities Crew I in any or all of the following aspects: the tasks require the specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities pertaining to the safe operation and procedures of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management. This class typically takes daily direction from a Utilities Crew Lead and participates in all aspects of maintenance and construction work within the Utilities Department. At times, incumbents function independently or lead small teams thus requiring them to exercise individual initiative in safety precautions and independent decision-making. This position will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
In addition to the duties of a Utilities Crew I:
- Read and interpret Water Distribution Map.
- Assists and participates in locating underground water, recycled water, sewer and related infrastructure in the street and other locations prior to excavating to prevent damage to underground facilities.
- Performs repairs to water mains, service lines, water meters, installation of new water lines, and other appurtenances.
- Assists and participates in the skilled street maintenance tasks involving the repair, maintenance and construction of curbs, gutters, sidewalks, streets, roadways, storm drains, pavement, and related facilities.
- Maintain water quality during the repair of water distribution pipelines and appurtenances.
- Properly utilize mandated disinfection and flushing techniques on newly installed or repaired distribution pipelines and appurtenances.
- Performs hydrant maintenance and valve testing, including but not limited to flushing and painting.
- Train and instruct personnel in the safe operation of light, medium and heavy-duty construction equipment.
- Incumbents may serve as competent person during excavations, traffic control, etc.
- Set up job sites; observe safe work methods and safety practices, including properly placing cones, barricades and warning devices and directing traffic flow at job sites.
- Respond to emergency calls, including working varying hours, weekends, holidays, and unscheduled days as required.
- Assists with Tribal sponsored functions; works with a variety of outside contractors; responds to after-hours call-outs as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- One (1) year combined work experience and/or training as a laborer in construction and maintenance work of water, roads, erosion control, and refuse management at a semi-skilled level.
- Forklift Operator Certification, preferred
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Techniques and materials used in the construction, maintenance and repair of water, roads, erosion control, and refuse management.
- Proficient concepts and practices in the operation and maintenance of water distribution systems.
- Operation and maintenance of heavy construction equipment, such as, backhoes, loaders, tractors, bulldozers, dump trucks and other related vehicles used in the course of work.
- Work order management systems.
- Train others in proper work processes, procedures, methods and work technique.
- Ensure the use of appropriate safety rules, practices and equipment.
- Exercise independent judgment and initiative without close supervision.
- Maintain accurate written and computerized records and reports of work performed, hours, materials, field conditions, etc.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.