Open Date: 04/29/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 006-2021
Department: General Services Dept.
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: Commensurate w/ Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine, semi-skilled, and skilled, physical work in the construction maintenance, repair and installation of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management; performs work in the removal of graffiti on the Rincon Reservation; operates a variety of light-, medium- and heavy-duty motorized maintenance and construction equipment; and performs related duties as assigned.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS, UTILITIES CREW III:
The Utilities Crew III is designated as the skilled level in this class series, in which incumbents are expected to independently perform the full scope of assigned duties and may assist in the training of less experienced personnel. The Utilities Crew III performs a variety of the most responsible and skilled assignments in domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management. This class is distinguished from the Utilities Crew Lead in that the latter is a lead worker classification requiring additional experience and responsibility. This position will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- In addition to the duties of a Utilities Crew II:
- Performs and directs construction, maintenance, design, repair and installation outlined by Utilities Crew Lead for areas of skilled responsibilities relating to domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management (i.e. water mains, water service lines, water meters, installation of new water lines.
- Marks locations of underground infrastructure including water lines and sewer
facilities prior to excavation.
- Directs the set-up of traffic control devices and trench shoring.
- Performs installation of new water mains up to 6” and appurtenances as needed and assists with design.
- Estimate and secure tools, materials and equipment required for assigned jobs.
- Incumbent may act in a lead capacity on specific jobs; direct and assign work to small teams, including training and evaluating work procedures; monitor work in progress at jobsites.
- In the absence of Utilities Crew Lead a Utilities Crew III may be assigned/delegated to discuss the work to be performed and assign tasks to Utilities Crew I/II.
- Monitor work in progress at job sites.
- Maintain written and computerized records of work performed and materials used.
- Provide training for Utilities Crew II’s in the aspects of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control, and refuse management.
- Installs, maintains, inspects and repairs street signs, road markings, striping, curbs, guardrails, barricades, and delineators.
- Assist Utilities Crew Lead with maintaining and managing active inventory of parts, including road sign inventory, and materials to complete assigned tasks.
- Inspects assigned work areas and corrects and/or reports safety hazards.
- Respond to emergency calls, including working varying hours, weekends, holidays, and unscheduled days as required.
- Assists and performs Housing and Landscape Department duties including landscape and vegetation maintenance and management, residential and commercial building repairs and maintenance.
- Assists with Tribal sponsored functions; works with a variety of outside contractors; responds to after-hours call-outs as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- Two (2) years’ of combined work experience as a laborer in construction and maintenance work of domestic water systems, roads, erosion control and refuse management at a skilled level.
- D1 Water System Operator License, preferred
- Valid California Drivers’ Class A Commercial License (CDL), preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Forklift Operator Certification
In addition to Utilities Crew II:
- Basic knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Safety regulations, practices and methods pertaining to work.
- Plan and layout jobs, estimate time, materials, tools and equipment.
- Direct and review the work of subordinates and evaluate work procedures.
- Analyze complex maintenance problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend or adopt effective courses of action.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.