Open Date: 06/07/2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 015-2021
Department: General Services
Salary: Commensurate w/ Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
This position under the direction of the Utilities Supervisor responsible for the extensive maintenance and operations of Tribal Facilities and Reservation Beautification Program. This includes performing all technical aspects of Landscape maintenance, development of a comprehensive broadleaf identification and eradication program. This person will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Assist in the administration of all landscape maintenance operations consistent with policies of the Rincon General Services.
- Designs and plans irrigation systems for Tribal facilities and Reservation Beautification projects.
- Mixes and applies herbicides in a safe manner as required.
- Inspects, repairs and adjusts existing irrigation systems to meet industry standards as it relates to evaporation rates. Maintain all irrigation lines and components to include check valves, gate valves, ball valves, booster pumps, manifolds, solenoids, heads and nozzles. Adjusts and repairs all irrigation timers and timing mechanisms for the various zones and cycles.
- Demonstrates a full understanding of applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties; will provide training to other staff; responds to questions and resolves public service complaints with the assistance of the Utilities Manager.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools specific to the maintenance operation of Tribal facilities; operates trucks, loaders, backhoes, forklifts, tractors, mowers, Cushman’s, aerators, scarifiers, spreaders and other related equipment.
- Supports other departments to ensure Tribal facilities and government assets are maintained in order to provide a safe, clean and appropriate environment.
- Maintains 10 feet of clearance for 25 roads and landscape for 9 tribal buildings. Maintains outer perimeter of 7 Pump Houses, North and South water tanks and both monuments at the Reservation entrances.
- Tree trimming maintenance for various species throughout the Reservation.
- Removal of invasive species.
- Attend required meetings and training.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- Five (5) years progressive experience with landscape maintenance; any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience as a professional, which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
- Experience working with Native American communities and culture, preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Valid Class B Driver’s License, preferred.
- Knowledge of topics related to landscape and facilities maintenance.
- Knowledge of proper landscape maintenance schedule development
- Knowledge of irrigation systems.
- Knowledge of both hybrid and common grasses to include root zone identification, turf fungus identification and knowledge of proper application processes for fungicide.
- Knowledge and/or experience in rotor tilling, mowing, edging, blowing, aerification cycles and processes, scarification equipment processes, operations and seasonal cycles.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefit include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.