Open Date: 08/31/2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
Requisition Number: 011-2023
Department: Cultural Services
Classification: Part-Time / Non- Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Valley Center, CA
This position under the direction of the Cultural Resources Manager is responsible for the prevention, collection, and on-site monitoring of excavations and work areas on Tribal lands. This classification is casual employment. This position will conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Rincon. This position maintains a thorough working knowledge of and adheres to tribal policies, regulations, and procedures.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Ability to identify archaeological deposits and potential areas of impact, and work with cultural resource teams to preserve and protect native burials and significant finds.
- Work collaboratively to carefully observe and identify potential significant archaeological finds, human remains, and prevent destruction.
- Prevent archaeological artifact loss and insensitive desecration of Native American remains in site work areas or during excavations.
- Examine and identify archaeological finds and assess their significance; carry out a treatment plan.
- Work with Tribal employees, local law enforcement officials, and Native American agencies during excavations.
- Collaborate with cultural department and museums in relation to archaeological database.
- Collect on-site data and information in relation to excavation or archaeological finds.
- Attend conferences and technical related trainings as directed.
- Demonstrates an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Adhere to safety standards and regulation of the Tribal Council.
- Handle all confidential and proprietary information in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Attends required meetings and trainings.
- Perform other related duties as required.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Graduation from a U.S. high school, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- One (1) to two (2) years of related work experience in site monitoring or archaeological work is highly preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
The following license and certification are required to be maintained throughout employment and are not subject to waiver:
- Valid California Driver’s License. Must maintain a satisfactory driving record with the DMV.
- Ability to read topographical maps and locate future inclusion.
- Knowledge of federal health codes.
- Knowledge of Native American sites, cultures, religion, ceremony and burial practices.
- Knowledge of techniques used to collect on-site data.
The Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians offers a comprehensive and competitive benefit
package for full-time and qualifying part-time employees. Benefits include the following:
- Health & Wellness Coverage: Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrual
- Holidays: Full-time employees and qualifying part-time employees are eligible for eleven (11) full paid holidays, and four (4) half day (4 hours) paid holidays.
- Comprehensive Annual Performance & Merit Reviews
- Job Training based on Business Needs
- Life and Long Term Disability: $100,000 employer paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Healthcare and Dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Supplemental Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Supplemental Coverage: Disability, Accident, Cancer, Life and Hospital Confinement
- Retirement: 401(k) retirement plan with a generous employer match
- Company Events: Rincon Tribal Government holds great social events for employees and occasionally raffle many prizes.